I haven’t been here for quite a while. I guess you could say I’ve been taking a simplicity break to a large extent. Kind of running on maintenance.
Looking around my room this morning, I realize I took a complexity turn along the way.
The name of the road? — SHTF Anticipation Avenue.
SHTF: This term basically refers to the point in society or our lives when the “stuff” hits the fan, when all hell breaks loose, when our present lifestyles, including personal security, go into upheaval. When maybe a gazillion of us DIE.
I put DIE in all caps because that’s the way it sounds in my head after watching about 4,964 YouTube videos on End of the World scenarios. I’m a bit shell-shocked and dizzy as a result.
The way I figure it, something major is going to happen soon. It might be one of the following or a combination which occurs either simultaneously or in a wave:
1. The earth shifts its tilt, and we’re ice.
2. Other natural disasters hit, but bigger than ever.
3. Zombies are running around as a result of bio warfare.
4. Ebola consumes us.
5. The Illuminati, after brainwashing all our children and dumbing us adults up even further through Hollywood stars and idolized singers, will, along with Satan, rule the world.
6. The biblical End of Times lands on its D-Day and some of us will go “up in smoke”, but most of us will be left on earth, which will have been converted into a living hell — FOR YEARS!
7. Those coming in through the U.S.’s open-gate southern border will fill the country to capacity and everyone will be forced to speak Spanish and eat frijoles EVERY DAY. (OK, really bad stabs at humor. Forgive me.)
8. Terrorists will cruise through that same border and do what terrorists do — but MUCH BIGGER this time.
9. Oh yeah, the One World government will brand us all with chips (acting in cahoots with the devil) and that will confirmed by one worldwide language, one type of currency worldwide, and –oh yeah — one government ruling the entire world. Did I get that right?
What will lead up to one or more of these scenarios (or scenarios I inadvertently or ignorantly left out) is an increased dependency on the government. Present reality: The changed employment laws where people can’t work past 28 hours a week. If they do, they’re considered full-time and are eligible for health insurance. Companies are now avoiding full-time status, and keeping employees at 28 hours per week. That means that someone now working 28 hours a week making a minimum wage of $7.25 and ultimately clearing $6 after deductions, makes a slamming $168 a week, or $672 a month. That kind of deal kind of begs people to throw up all their hands and head for welfare land, thus increasing their dependence — both financially and mentally — on the government.
10. Aliens. Aliens that have been in cahoots with the military for years. Aliens that have been taking people out of their beds and doing horrible experiments on them in an attempt to create a new species and overtake the world.
11. Our being thrown into a second Holocaust. I’m curious as to who would be the chosen victims, and I throw myself into contemplating how the government would trick us this time and what would be the chosen form or forms of massive annihilation. I find myself concerned that we will just go along with whatever out of fear of not having food or water. I fear that we have become excessively passive, manageable, unconscious and inactive, both physically and mentally.
I’ve been out of the country for years — and I come back to THIS? THIS? OK, a lot of it was already on the simmer, but I wasn’t watching YouTube videos on it and getting all confused. I was already worried about family members, but this all takes it to a whole new level.
So what the hell does this have to do with simplicity? It has a lot to do with mine. I’ve been so caught up in end-of-the-world scenarios and being prepared, that I now have empty jugs in the corner that are kind of meant to hold water, but I need to look on the internet first to see how many drops of chlorine to add. Then there is the water in plastic containers bought in the store. How long will they last before the plastic starts seeping into the water? … I additionally have cans of beans. OK, that’s kind of to wean me onto actually preparing the beans myself, but still — I’m thinking that when SHTF, maybe there won’t be water to make the beans and then there goes a protein crisis,… but then I think that I can combine nuts and seeds with oats and be fine… but then I think about the total protein content and if it will be enough, if the recommendations are correct, or if we can live on far less. … and then on the internet they are adamant about people being armed — but I don’t have a gun nor desire one and I seem to qualify as a gypsy who will DIE if anything happens because my earth-lovingness and barefoot-walking ways render me with no skills in the real world.
The way I’m hearing it, even though I’m healthy and strong and have no medical conditions and no reliance on medications, I’m still screwed. I have family members who are just the opposite. They’re TOTALLY screwed.
REALLY. MANIC. THINKING.
And then… after running around inside my head for several weeks…. I begin to settle down and start to think for myself.
Maybe one of these scenarios will become a reality. Probably. Maybe all of them. Maybe they will all blend together into a viscous mush. And what if?
That personally brings me back to my values, and, pretty much like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I find myself back in Kansas, living the life I am working to develop. Striving to be the person I am working to develop.
Today I seek balance. Today I actively seek peace and a settling of these thoughts into one cohesive channel.
While I do believe that it is always wise to be as fit and healthy and as independent as possible, to have water stored and a few ways to filter water, to have food stored, and to be able to live simply and need little in the way of material possessions, I believe that by being caught up in fear, I lose the purpose of living and make myself highly vulnerable in multiple ways.
My value is not money. It is not power. It is not possessions or fame. My value is God. Loving God. Working to increase my strength and capacity and wisdom so that I can serve God. My value is love. If there was something I had to accomplish before I died, it would be character development leading to soul development, because I believe that that will be carried with me beyond death. Maybe we do end up ashes and the soul doesn’t exist. Maybe our purpose here is to live it up and enjoy our golf games and our TV shows and famous people and to pay no mind to the earth, but that’s not what I bank on. That’s not where my deepest convictions and truths lie.
I think that the warnings (often smart warnings) that are being shared on the internet can be very useful. However, if we lose ourselves in the process or lose sight of why we’re here, then if there is a devil, he becomes a pretty happy camper.
Today I get re-grounded. Today I re-group. I go through this little hoarded stash in the corner and clear it out. I take the cans down to the basement and add to the stash there. I make decisions on the recyclables, and I get back to my simplicity.
I do believe that we can better prepare ourselves and be diligent about it. I do believe in my heart, however, that the best preparation is what is done with our characters, our way of treating ourselves and our way of relating to and treating each other.